Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Convictions

Well, I did it. I finished the novel that I wrote the bulk of last November during NaNoWriMo. It has variously been called 'Annie' (that one was never going to fly!), 'Lost Children', and finally 'Convictions', the title under which it has now been published. As with Gone Bad, I've published this as an e-book.

With this story I did quite a bit of planning. For the first time ever, before I even put fingers to keyboard, I had a clear idea of what I was going to write. (Previously it's all been a bit vague - 'there'll be a bloke and a woman and this will probably happen'.) I might as well not have bothered - a couple of characters who should have been bit-part players muscled in and took over. As a result of that, I ended up writing a story with a lot of police involvement, and that's not something I'd ever intended to do.

Luckily for me, I'm a fully paid up member of Christopher Brookmyre's 'MSU Institute of Research'. 'MSU' stands for 'Making Shit Up' and that's pretty much the essence of story-telling anyway. Don't get me wrong, I find out as much as I can about the stuff I write about, but it simply isn't possible to get to the bottom of everything - and, like many a writer before me, I don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Anyway, 'Convictions' is out there now, so the readers can decide whether it's a good story or not. Please, check it out if you feel so inclined. You can get a chunk of it free from either Smashwords or Amazon to see if it's your sort of thing. If you do take a look, thank you, and I hope you enjoy it.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Paul! I love the cover, Steven did a cracking job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, and of course I will be reading it. You are certianly on a great roll of late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And...bought. I've been looking forward to this one. Another cracking cover BTW, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean - thank you, I'm trying to strike while the iron is hot. (And I'm hoping
    I don't just get on people's nerves!) :)

    Sam - thanks, I hope it doesn't disappoint. (Refunds are available ... ;p)

    ReplyDelete