Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Free e-book reader applications

If you're curious about e-books but don't want to shell out for a dedicated e-book reader until you're sure you'd use one, you can pick up an e-book reader application for free online. It might not offer the benefit of being 'easy' on the eyes that e-book readers like the Kindle claim, but it gives you a no-cost opportunity to sample the e-book experience.

I've got two, greedy girl that I am. I started off with the Kindle for PC application, then found out about Adobe Digital Editions. (I got it to check e-book formatting for Smashwords when I published my short story collection.) Anyway, while I decide if I need a Kindle or some similar device, this keeps me in e-books.

Mind you, should you decide to get yourself a free e-book reader application so you can have a look and see what all the fuss is about, you will quickly find that you now have access to a bunch of free e-books, too. That's right - one free thing leads to another. My Kindle for PC malarkey actually had some books available when I downloaded it: Aesop's Fables, Treasure Island, and Pride and Prejudice. They may well not be to your taste (I hate Jane Austen) but it means you can see how it works, and then start looking around to see what other goodies are out there.

Can't be bad!

8 comments:

  1. That's how I got into the ebook game, with kindle for PC. It really does open up a lot opportunity for free reading of all kinds. I also like the fact that you can read samples and decide if you actually want to part with some cash. It is getting fairly frustating that more authors, or more likely, publishers, are not releasing ebooks in conjunction with print, especially since most of the stuff I like to read is from UK authors.

    Jane Austin, hysterical, I think she is the anti-Julie ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've slated ereaders but have reluctantly downloaded kindle for pc. We can't do anything to stop the electronic revolution so maybe I need to open my eyes to it. I will always be a real book man though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean - yes, I like the fact that we can read samples. Traditional publishers are frustrating, though, not only with their pricing (a tenner or more for an e-book is unjustified) but also, as you say, with staged releases.

    BTW, let me know if you have trouble picking up Maxwell's Silver Hammer (I saw your comment on Col Bury's site). I'd be happy to put a copy in the post for you - just let me know.

    (JA as the anti-Julie... I like that! :p)

    David - sounds like we have a similar outlook! But things are changing and if readers want their books electronically, as writers, we need to respond to that. I think it has the potential to be tremendously liberating - time will tell, I guess. Mind you, the main difference I've found since downloading Kindle for PC is that as well as Mount TBR, I have a growing e-Mount TBR. Plus ca change... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey- Just finihed "Gone Bad" Loved it! and will put review on SW and my blog this week. Thanks for the offer on MSH, I'm going to try and get it myself this week, but will let you know if that doesn't work out. Author's NEED to make their work avail in ebook, and the USA if they want to expand their readerhip. Having the same issue with Adrian Mckinty's new one, and the dude is a big-time author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Likewise smile/smirk/smiled at Jane the anti-Julie. Oh that cagey Sean Patrick. Now how long did it take JOOLS to become the poster banner gal for e'books?

    You're some dynamo lady.
    ~ Absolutely*Kate who has a Nook and had fun one day carousing the kindle pc app's offerings as well ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sean - thanks so much, I really appreciate that. Ir's frustrating when you can't get your hands on a book, isn't it? I actually have a copy of MSH going spare here - I don't even need to go out and get one, it just needs a home - so yeah, just let me know.

    Kate - thanks for stopping by, dollface! E-books - working on my next one. My biggest problem currently is coming up with a title that isn't boring (and that I can sort out a cover image for). Hey, we'll get there - all good fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have both of those too! I haven't used the Kindle one much but Adobe Digital Editions is simple enough. It's also handy if you have a WIP and want to give it a once over since you can read it as a PDF through Adobe. Helps you resist the urge to edit as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a good idea! I'm dreadful for just tweaking a little here and a little there, and it doesn't always help.

    ReplyDelete